Sunday, January 10, 2010

Day 2 - Girish Karnad's Nagamandala

This was my first tryst with serious folk theatre and I was not disappointed. After being used to the gripping plays at Prithvi, Ravindra Bharati seemed a little different. Ravindra Bharati has so many memories associated with it, so many performances of my own and quizzes also.

Nishumbita Ballet & Theatre group has done a fantastic job in putting it across. Hats off to Veena who played the main protagonist and Ram Holagundi, the director.

One complaint was about the irritating crowd though. The theatre scene is plagued with the problem of Cellphones ringing and I don't know if we will ever deal with this. Also some folks in the crowd were talking and didn't seem interested. Why do they even come, when they are not interested ? Answer : To disturb easily irritable people like me.

But I'm mighty glad, the Hyderabad theatre scene is alive and kicking.

No comments: